Thursday, October 23, 2008

Three Years Ago....

Three years ago today, Lance and I had our first date! (Everyone say, "Awwwwe!") It has been an interesting at times, but mostly wonderful time ever since. This day also marks the two month anniversary of our wedding too. =)

Lance and I met through e-Harmony. We actually had our "match" on October 3rd. This is where they send each of you an email stating that they have matched you up, and then you go to the website and check out the other person's profile and picture and see if you even want to bother. LOL! You go through this process where they let you select 5 multiple choice questions to send to the other person, and then they do the same after answering yours. Then you send a list of ten must haves and must have nots. Then you get to ask three open-ended, essay like questions to each other....And then finally, you get to email each other openly...but through the website...not your real email. Once we finally got to this point, we really clicked. We had the same sense of humor....I mean sometimes I can be quite sarcastic in my humor, and I had no worries that he would read me wrong.....We just clicked. We started talking on the phone shortly after that, and then finally, Lance had to go to Waterloo for Hobby Lobby one Sunday, three years ago today, and I remember being so nervous that he was this really cool guy, who was going to be no more than a really "nice guy." Know what I mean? Like, he was really cool, but for whatever reason, no chemistry, and for me, it seems it is right away I feel that chemistry, or I never do....And, funny thing is Lance had the same worry. LOL! However, we had nothing to worry about at all obviously.

Anyway, you all know the rest of our history, but I am having fun today just thinking about the last 3 years, and that special date three years ago today. Even though I would bot own up to my thoughts and feelings, and intuition, if you want to call it that, I knew on that date, he would someday be my husband. I was scared to think that, but my intuition was strong......I just kept telling it to shut up so I didn't get ahead of myself! LOL! I am in some ways grateful for the distance between us at that time.....so I could think clearly, and slowly build that trust for him and for myself. After you have been hurt badly, it is hard to know who or what to trust. My intuition had always been strong (and still is) and for the most part, I had always been able to trust it, but one major mistake, and that trust was all shook up.

Communication is huge with us, and it always has been. This communication is what really built that trust and true intimacy. I am the kind of person who typically wears my heart on my sleeve, and I am pretty transparent with people. While Lance doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve, he does realize the importance of communication, and I am grateful for his transparency with me......Even though a couple time I swear I had smoke coming out of my ears due to his honesty and openness. LOL! (I'm sure those times won't be the last either.) It is so important to be that "real" in the most intimate relationship of your life (most intimate outside of that relationship with God of course). I think when God talks about the two being naked "and there was no shame" (However that verse goes...) he isn't just talking physical, but with all of you...your heart, your mind. I am so blessed to have found someone I can be "naked" and vulnerable with...to be authentic.....transparent....and "real" with. Today, I look back on how my life partner and best friend came to be that person for me.

No comments: