Wednesday, October 8, 2008

New Week

Is it Wednesday already? Wow! Some weeks just seem to go fast I guess....

We have continued to keep Jakob on the gluten-free diet, as it has been good for him. He is "normal" all the time now. I also believe he feels better too. He told Lance once, "Wheat....Yuck!" Then when we give him food, he says in this itty-bitty pitiful voice, "Does it have wheat in it?" Also some of his favorite things like cinnamon roils, he asks for, and we tell him he can't have it because it has wheat in it, and he is like, "Oh, ok." Instead of throwing a fit. He threw fits about other things we removed from his diet before, but not at all with the gluten. He also used to tell me, "Mommy, don't hug me too tight. You will hurt my tummy." I really thought he was just being silly. Now I feel awful because his tummy probably did hurt. I remember asking him once when he was having the strange BMs if his tummy hurt, and he said, "Only if you press on it." I really didn't know what to think of that because, well, I'm sure if you pressed on anybody's belly, it wouldn't be comfortable. I was told that if I wanted to have him tested for celiac's disease, I would have to make him eat the bad stuff before they tested him. I don't know about that. That just seems cruel. It's like, "Here buddy. Eat this poison."

I was told about a flour mix that you can almost substitute cup for cup for regular flour and tastes good too., I have not gotten it yet, but I will have to try making some bread with it. Then I can make him cinnamon rolls, or pizza crusts or whatever. All of this is ok when we are at home, but it is going to be a pain when we go out places. I send him with his own snacks to Sunday School. At family gatherings, I can just bring stuff too, but at restaurants....That is where it will get tricky.

We are looking for a piano teacher for Kristina right now. She wants to play violin, but I feel a child needs a good piano background no matter what they play. Put it this way, if that child ever wanted to pursue it at the college level, they would have to take piano in college anyway until they could pass piano proficiency. Anyway, we are going to make sure she has a basic understanding of music theory before she can play violin. She likes this plan, and is all excited because I taught her how to play part of the "Star Wars" theme song. =) I could teach her to get her started, but it is very hard for me to stand behind her or even beside her and read the music. We talked to a lady at church who is very good, and we would love to have her but she really only had times available in the evenings and also Sat morning or Sun afternoon, and Lance did not like that idea and wanted to find someone who could teach her while he was at work so it does not cut into our family time. Well, I have called three people (names I got from the homeschool group) and I only got hold of one...A very sweet, VERY elderly woman. She sounded like she was at least 86, but seemed to have all her wits about her, so I guess that is what is important. The other 2 haven't called me back, which is my pet peeve. If I call you wanting your services and request you to call me back, call me! Otherwise, I just assume you don't want my business. Yes, I know, I can call them again, but I still think it is rude.

We get Carter tomorrow night. They are having some family on Tom's side (Carter's step-father) here this weekend, and then they are having Karina's birthday on Sunday, so Carter is coming tomorrow afternoon and leaving Saturday afternoon.

Tomorrow night is also MEO (Mom's Evening Out) for the homseschool group here. We are going to Carlos O'Kelley's. It will be nice to meet some of the other moms in the area who homeschool. This particular group is a Christian homeschooling group, and there are 50 families involved. It is so nice to have that kind of support around here.

Anyway, those are our updates so far this week.....

2 comments:

Dena said...

I am so happy you have found something to help Jakob. I talked to my mother-in-law and here is what she likes best:

http://www.celiac.com is great for tried and true recipes, and it has a restaurant guide. Just so you know, my FIL eats at McDonalds - just no bun, but the oil they use means he can have the fries. Thankfully as people become more aware, more restaurants are changing how they do things.

http://www.glutenfreemall.com/
http://www.glutenfree.com/

Both of the above sites have products you can order, which can be great time savers when rushed (pre-made pizza crusts, etc). Kinnikinnick and Gluten-Free Pantry are two of my FIL's favorite brands to get foods and mixes from.

Hope these help. :)

The Naths said...

Thank you so much!! That helps! LOL! I can just imagine them at McDonalds...."Yes, I would like a hamburger Happy meal with no bun....and no fries..." They would Probably look at me like I'm an idiot. lol!