Sunday, April 6, 2008

Grandma Martha

Lance and I went to see his Grandma Martha today in the hospital. It was a heart-heavy day, as I'm sure anyone can imagine. We took turns holding her hand, talking to her, wondering if she was hurting, wondering if she could hear and understand us. I do believe she could, at least a little. It was great to see her react to things like when being told the Cubs were ahead, or when any loved-one came to visit and announced they were there to her, she had some kind of reaction. She would kind of grin or move, or while Lance was talking to her, she reached to hug him. I felt sad and helpless...Not so much for her. I knew she knew Jesus, and she would soon get to see Him! How wonderful! I can only begin to imagine the glory of that. No, I was heart-heavy for Lance's family. It is so hard to lose someone very close, and when you know that kind of hurt, it is hard to see people you love have to go through that kind of hurt. I will miss her too....her smile, her laugh, the fact that she loved the Cubs as much as she did, her zest for life, and I will miss not getting to know her better, and was so hoping to have her help celebrate on our wedding day... I am so thankful I could be there though to see her once more, and I am so glad I could be there for Lance too, who has been processing this over the past few days, and while he feels sadness, he also has a real peace about it too. By the time we got home, Grandma Martha was already reunited with her husband Harry, and I have this image of Jesus there with open arms saying, "Martha! You're home!"....and so she is!

1 comment:

Kelli said...

I'm sorry for your loss, she sounds like a great woman who will truly be missed.