Thursday, February 7, 2008

A nice low-key week...

Well, this week has been pretty low key, so I have not written in a few days. This is a blessing though that not too much going on. =) Monday, we had ice and snow, so never did make it to Ames for the bug zoo trip. The kids were disappointed, and I was disappointed we had all gotten up so early, were dressed, and now had no place to go (or could go) and we were all very tired. This made for a very hard day, as the kids had no interest in behaving. Kristina did not want to do school at all, so I kind of tricked her in a way, and told her she could have the day off since we were all so wiped out, but I “made her” play games like Yahtzee, Mancala and other thinking games. She LOVES games. She would play games 24/7 if she could!

Tuesday night Jakob was actually up until 11:00!! He would not go to sleep. He was acting as though he were not even tired. At about 9:00, I finally gave up and put in a movie to calm him, and he chose, “Facing the Giants.” (By the way, this is an AWESOME movie, and if you have not seen it, you MUST see it!!) and I was thinking, “Well, that’s an adult film, so he will be asleep in about five minutes.” NO! He watched the whole movie!!! I was on the phone with Lance part of this time, and Lance told me he might be outgrowing naps. Um, no! He can’t do that yet. I still need that time in the afternoon! LOL! But seriously, I think he just had his body all out of whack still from this weekend.

One cute little thing that happened: Yesterday, I heard the kids arguing, so I started to really listen to see if this was a “teaching moment” for me or just something they could work out. Here’s how it went: Now they were playing with Jakob’s tools……”No, I get to be Lance!!! You can be Len!” (Len is our landlord whom they love also.) “No! I never get to be Lance! It’s my turn to be Lance!”…”.No! I will be Lance! You can be Len! Don’t you want to be Len? You like Len!” “NO!!! I WANT TO BE LANCE!!!” I had to laugh and shoot a message to Lance….Now he thinks he is “King of the kids.” It’s so funny because “Mr. Fixit” Lance is not! He has so many other gifts and talents, but he feels duct tape works nicely for most repairs. =) He warned me once as he was putting a bookshelf together for me, “Uh, you do realize you aren’t getting yourself a handyman, right?” =) To his credit, the bookshelf turned out beautifully, so I guess it isn’t that he can’t make the tools work, he just doesn’t necessarily like that sort of thing.

Today was also pretty low-key. We had a M.O.Ps meeting in the morning. (Mothers of Preschoolers) We talked about the Gary Chapman book, “The Five Love Languages.” It just so happens I am reading that one and the one for children as well. Really good, eye-opening books. I love to figure out why people do what they do, and this just opens another door to that. People are really interesting, don’t you think?

2 comments:

Debi said...

I love the Gary Chapman book! It's one of our favorites around here. It's been so good for Steve and I's relationship as well as with our kids! Happy reading! :)

Debi

mom and dad said...

We really did enjoy F.T.G. great
movie... Glad you are enjoying reading great books. So glad to hear you got your wish for sewing machine-know how much I love mine and has been used for many-many years. Keep the snow up that way!