WOW! I can not believe the flooding here in IA this Spring!!! It is AWFUL! I could post pictures, but anyone reading this has probably already seen it on the News. My mom works down town Cedar Rapids, and so they were evacuated on Thursday and have no idea when they will be able to go back. There are pictures of a DQ where all you can see is the roof! THE ROOF!! The Paramount Theater (Where the Symphony plays) is flooded up to the sign above the doors. The Tjeck museum is the same way, which makes me sad somehow because I think about all the things in there that had to be collected and are old and irreplaceable. The saddest of course is that people have literally lost their homes!!! I just wrote about flooding in our new basement, but people have lost their entire homes!! My heart just aches for them! I can't imagine that pain. I know it is just material stuff, but honestly memories and relationships are built inside those walls and with that "stuff", and we all need a place to live. Now they will have to seek a place to live with family and friends or in shelters, and we all know, that doesn't feel like "home", and then they have to be thinking when will they be "home" again. The town of Palo is gone. Everybody in the whole town has been evacuated and lost their homes. This is where the Nuclear power plant is, so I wonder how that is doing. Kinda scary! There is no way to get from Cedar Rapids to IA City.....um, unless of course you want to drive all the way to Des Moines first. Then I found out this morning about the levees breaking in Des Moines. Those pictures are awful! So devastating! I am praying that this is the worst of it, and we'll start getting some dry, warm weather, and people can start rebuilding and getting things cleaned up.
My parents' house is alright so far. They had a little flooding, but this was due to the sump pump not being able to work because the electricity was out. My brother was home, and so he was able to get it under control so that nothing was ruined.
Anyway, please pray for all those who are affected by this!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Don't feel like a dork - I am the one who feels that way and am sorry!
I've been sitting in my chair the last two days watching the live stream on kcrg.com - had a few meltdowns! The stuff is all material - but I can't even begin to imagine what they re all going through.
I did get your invite - I'll have to see what I have going on then :)
Post a Comment