Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Chiropractor visits

Well, as I mentioned in my last blog, my back was seriously messed up this weekend, so I went to the chiropractor on Tuesday (earliest they could get me in.) I also made appointments for the kids as Kristina has been having headaches and complaining about her back hurting also, and I figured with as much rough and tumble as Jakob does, he could use a good adjustment too.

He took x-rays of my lower back and upper back and neck. These were my problem areas. Guess what? I have scoliosis. Who knew. It isn't terrible but he says that is why my back is so messed up. One hip is slightly higher than the other, and the pelvic bone is like thinner and turned in on one side also. Weird. My neck has a little scoliosis. It is more straight whereas it should curve inward. This causes my head to sit a little too forward causing strain on my neck. He is the first chiro I have ever been to who actually takes x-rays. Weird, huh? You would think they all would. Good news is there is no arthritis in any of the joints. =) I like the guy a lot. They are close to our house, and Lance thought I should try him out, which made me nervous because I had no referrals. Anyway, I really like how thorough he is. He does all that "doctor" stuff like check reflexes, eyes, ears, listens to heart, lungs and stomach. The other 2 chiros I've been too, just adjust you.

Today, I had to go back to be adjusted again and go over the x-rays, and discuss further treatment. The scoliosis in the lower back can't be correct at "my age" (Yeah, he pretty much told me I was too old to correct it.) but with treatment, can get it so I am no longer having pain, and then he will show me some "therapies" that will help me stay put, more or less. I have to go 3 times/week for awhile until it gets worked out.

Then Kristina had her exam. I knew something was wrong when he started asking me questions while listening o her stomach. He started, "Does she have normal BMs?" I was like, "I guess." (I guess I just don't go with her and look anymore. I mean I don't have to wipe her anymore so, you know....Am I the only parent who doesn't look at her kids poop?) Then he asked, "Does she go every day?" I was pretty sure she did. He asked if she ever had diarrhea. By this time, I was like "WHAT???? What's wrong with my daughter?" I told him she did occasionally, but it doesn't seem to repeat. Just once out of the clear blue she might. He asked, "Does she get up to go to the bathroom while you are eating or right afterward?" I was like, "Oh my gosh! YES! Like every time we eat!!" He finally told me what he was suspecting. He said she had some intestinal problems which indicate a food allergy. He said you need to start eliminating foods because she is definitely allergic to something. Also, the place that was out in her back was associated with her having digestive problems. I told him about Jakob, and so he suggested I take her off gluten and dairy to start, since she may very well have trouble with the same thing since celiac can be genetic. He was also very concerned about her weight. She is only 39lbs and will be seven this month. Jakob is also 39 lbs. He is 41 inches and she is 44 inches. I told him she has always been small and so was I. He said some of it could be genetic, but he feels that with Jakob having trouble with wheat, and then her low weight, that she possibly has celiac as well, as celiac blocks nutrient absorption and is associated with low weight and slow growth. Then Kristina says, "But I hate Jakob's bread!!" Poor girl. She loves her toast in the morning.

Anyway, they can also test them there, but it is one of those tests that the insurance doesn't cover, so he said to eliminate foods would be the cheaper route for us. The tests sounds pretty cool. It's called the ALCAT test, and tests the blood for food allergies and sensitivities. Also chemicals and additives in foods. It tests 250 of the most common foods. I have heard of this test before on celiac websites. It is considered experimental though, so insurance doesn't cover it, which blows my mind because the tests that they take at the regular doctors office only shows about 30% of allergies and you actually have to have the junk in your body to test for it. The ALCAT test does not require you eat the crap you might be allergic to in order to test for it because it is not testing for antibodies, as the other tests do. He gave me a pamphlet on it, and I read up on it, and I think it sounds great, so really feel bummed that we would have to pay out of pocket if we wanted it done. If you want to know more about ALCAT testing, you can read more at www.alcat.com

Anyway, Jakob was healthy. He saw no issues with him, and both kids do not have scoliosis (at least not yet....Usually develops a little later, I think) They both got adjusted, and I had another one, I was shocked at how much my neck cracked both yesterday and again today! WOW! And he is the first chiro who can actually adjust my lower back (at the very bottom...I usually say my hips hurt...It's towards the base of my spine) Yesterday, when he adjusted down there, it was like I felt warmth down there afterward...almost like it was saying, "Ahhhh!" I had a bit of a headache after today's appointment, which Lance says he gets too after a really good adjustment. I feel much better now though. =)

All three of us see him again Friday, and then the kids should only need to go back every month-three months (which would be normal for an adjustment).

So that's our new exciting news around here!

1 comment:

Dena said...

We have scoliosis in common I see. That's why I'm having all the problems I have now too. Isn't aging fun? LOL

I'm glad you found someone you like!