Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Price of having babies

So Tuesday I had my yearly physical. As usual, not a pleasant experience, especially since I just moved here, and I had to see someone I had never seen before!! Well, before I had to take off my clothes, the Dr. was checking all the other stuff...ears, nose, throat...etc, and she checked my stomach, and when she lifted my shirt to start pushing around, she said, "Wow! How big were your babies?!" I had to laugh, I mean how rude, right? It wasn't just a simple questions, it was like a "Holy crap! Look at your stomach!!" kind of question. LOL! So I told her my first was 7lb and 3/4oz and the second, an even 8lbs. She said, "Yeah, for your height, those babies were REALLY big for your body!" I'm like, "Yeah, no kidding!" My mom has all those pic of when I was pregnant. Through both pregnancies she took a picture every month to show my growing tummy. I was HUGE both times, but it looked bigger with Jakob, not just because I WAS bigger but because I carried him lower, and he was a lot of work to carry around. People use to laugh and say it looked like I would just topple over because I only gained baby fat, I was still thin everywhere else. I did swell a LOT with both of them. People would ask me or talk behind my back about me having toxemia, but I was healthy. The blood pressure with both of them stayed good through the whole thing, and Kristina didn't want to come out, so they broke my water finally and I went into labor, was in hard labor a couple hours after that, and then 8 hours after that, was taken to surgery for a C-section. Jakob was taken a week before his due date by c-section. I didn't have to labor with him. They scheduled the c-section. Anyway, both of my babies grew straight out from my body. In other words, from the back, you would never know I was pregnant, and well, my skin got stretched beyond its max! I have tons of loose skin that will never tighten up and then stretch marks of course. I really don't mind the stretch marks. I mean, that is just normal and I was expecting it, but the skin that just rolls over and hangs there....That I was not expecting!! I hate it! Pants fit me weird, and no materr how many pilates classes I got to, it won't take care of skin! The Dr. told me after having Kristina that my skin would never tighten up all the way. UGH! Not that I wanted to wear a bikini anyway, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life looking like I have a gut either! Oh well! You know though, it just depends on your skin. I have an aunt who is only an inch taller than me. Small boned like me. She is a little better proportioned (I am all legs and hardly any torso!) Her second baby was an 8lb 6oz boy, and she has ZERO stretch marks and ZERO extra skin!!! Ok, before you go hating my aunt, I do have to tell you that she gave birth to that boy breach....butt first!!! OUCH!

Anyway, just thought I'd share my doctor's "rude" comment. LOL!

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Screw your doctor! I know that isn't the nicest thing to say but that is pretty darn rude! I can't really speak to this b/c I don't have kids, but I think as much as it might bother me if my skin looked like that it would always serve as a reminder about the miracles of life! Have a great and safe 4th!