Monday, June 15, 2009

Grandpa Troester

My Grandpa Troester passed away yesterday morning.

Saturday, I talked to my mom, and she let me know that my grandfather was not doing well, and had been moved to hospice. She said it could be only a week more, or longer. Nobody really knew. He had had pneumonia, and that did clear up, but he had a collapsed lung. She said it was frustrating because it seemed they weren't getting the full story. Anyway, they were headed up there Saturday to go sit with him again. They had him on morphine for the pain and to keep him relaxed, so he wasn't at all himself.

He has been living in a nursing home for a few years now. He had done something to his back, and because of his age, they didn't want to do surgery. Then last year he had pneumonia, and I guess everyone thought that might be the end as it was not good at all. He did pull through, and so my mom was hoping maybe this time would be like that too.....but it wasn't.

Yesterday, I heard my phone ringing while I was teaching Sunday School. I knew it was probably bad news because nobody calls me during church, but I couldn't answer it at that moment. I listened to the message and it was my dad saying to give him a call. Well, that told me right there something was wrong because my dad never calls unless it is our birthday or something like that. I called back and my mom answered. She said Grandpa had passed away that morning and they were on their way back up to Gutenberg again. Arrangements are being made today.

I have been asked to sing at the funeral. My mom said not to feel bad if I didn't feel up to it, but I really think it is something I can do to honor him, so I am. I just pray that I can be connected enough to the song to convey the meaning, but not so connected that I cry all the way through. I am singing "It is Well With My Soul." This is one of my favorite hymns, and I have a really beautiful arrangement of it.

So, you might want to know a little about my Grandpa. He was a farmer, and we loved going to visit my grandparents on the farm! (My grandmother passed away when I was in high school). All us kids always fought over who got to sit by Grandpa at the dinner table (and I remember winning a few of those times). He was always joking with us kids, and then there was the dandelion wine he made himself.... I remember when I was a teenager and he let me finally try it. Yeah, I gave him a real good laugh! That stuff BURNED all the way down! Of course, he told me how it would put hair on my chest.....like that was a good thing or something. =) He liked to joke and talk about all those things farmers like to talk about (you know, like who bought cows from so-and-so....) He also was a stubborn German who rarely showed emotion, but he always let us hug him anyway. =)

I am glad that he is no longer in pain. He lived a good full life. He and my Grandma had five boys, my dad being the youngest. There are 14 of us grandkids, and I lost count how many great-grandkids! He was a good man, and I am happy he is in the Father's arms and is reunited with Grandma (Things were never really the same with him after we lost her.) There is another sad thing in a silly sort of way... He would have turned 90 this Friday, but of course, I wouldn't have wanted him to suffer just to make that milestone.

I love you Grandpa! Glad you finally made it "Home!"

2 comments:

Dena said...

You are all in our thoughts and prayers. If there is anything we can do, please just give us a shout. Love you all very much!!

The Naths said...

Thanks Dena!