Monday, September 29, 2008

The weekend

Well, the weekend certainly went fast. Friday, after Carter got here, we headed for my parents in Shellsburg. The three kids hung out on my mom's bed that night looking at catalogues, making their Christmas lists. =)

Then Saturday, I got up and made breakfast for everyone, and then Lance and Carter headed off around 8:00 to go to Iowa City for the Hawkeye game. I was so disappointed that they didn't win. It was Carter's first Hawkeye game, and well, if you go to a game to cheer for your team, you want them to win even more than if you see it on TV to make the whole experience really AWESOME! But, oh well! They did have fun anyway, so that's what matters.

While they were away, my mom, the kids and I went to Toys R Us for Geoffrey the Giraffe's birthday party. It lasted three hours with activities to do and parades around the store, and prizes...etc... The kids also went around the store adding to their Christmas list. It was fun to see them have a good time. Then we went to the mall for pretzel bites, and finally to Target for some things.

We brought pizza home for everyone, and Lance and Carter were back by this time. After we all ate together, it was time for a little relaxation....The kids played video games, and Lance and I looked at wedding pictures (It never gets old.) =) Then around 6:30, we started the 2hr drive back home....And would you believe the kids did not sleep a wink the entire way home like we thought they would? Well, at least they were having fun instead of fighting with one another. =) It's fun to watch the dynamics of the three of them together. It's like they have been related their whole lives.

Sunday, we went to Church. We talked to the church pianist (or in our church, it is a keyboard because it all praise and worship music.) and she may be Carter's next piano teacher. Carter's old teacher, Mark, left last Spring for CA to be with his very sick parents and has not returned. Nobody knows how he is at all, as he will not return phone calls or emails. Anyway, the search has been on for a new teacher for him, and really have not found one. He needs a really good teacher....one who knows about composition as well as being classically trained etc...etc.... Carter writes his own music, and he is advanced enough that he has been playing classical music for almost 2 years now. Anyway, we stopped and talked to this lady at church, Roxanne to see if she could recommend someone and it seems that she teaches. She has played since she was 4 years old and has been classically trained, as well as been trained in church and praise and worship music (Her words...I assume that means she can play hymns and contemporary praise and worship music) She also composes and I hear her improv at church all the time, so I know she is good at that. Anyway, I have given the info to Laurie and she sounds excited to talk to the lady and hopefully get something set up with her this week.

After church we came home and made dinner, watched some football while the kids played games. Then Lance and the kids played with legos and I went upstairs and had some alone time with the "piano." (It's a keyboard really...A very nice one with the weighted keys and everything, but we always call it the piano.) It was such a relaxing afternoon!!

Then while Lance and the boys went to Algona to take Carter back, Kristina and I went shopping. We went to Kohls to get her some new clothes as she is growing out of things and had very little to wear to church and her pants are all getting too short. I had looked at Target earlier and Lance and I both agreed we did not like what they had for Kristina's age (at least right now) They had too many things with short sleeves still, and NO dresses that would be warm enough for fall or winter. I also don't like how it appears I am to dress my -year-old like a teenager. Let her be a little girl folks! I don't need my first-grader looking like a hoochy-mama! ANYWAY, we got her some nice things, even though I think it is sad I have to pay 22.00-26.00 for her pants!!! The kid is skinny. What can I say, so for pants, she can only wear certain brands and certain styles.

While we waited for Lance and Jakob to come back to get us, we headed over to Petco. Kristina was just tickled pink. There was a puppy in there that she played with for about ten minutes, named Pop-Tart. Then when Lance got their, she tried to convince him to buy her a chinchilla. He was actually kind of interested until the lady told us they have very brittle bones, so if you squeeze them to tight, you may break the bones, crush vital organs, and kill them......Doesn't sound like a good animal for kids, who just might "love" them to death! Scary!

Anyway, that was our weekend. We were only upset about one thing. We really were wanting to see the movie Fireproof, and they are not showing it ANYWHERE near us at all!! I was so upset!!! I really hope it comes like next week!! Otherwise, we will have to wait until it comes out on DVD. I guess we do have a big screen TV and surround sound, but you know, I wanna see it NOW! =)

No comments: