Saturday, December 12, 2009

GF Bread

Here is the bread I make. It calls for 2 8 inch loaf pans, but since my loaf pan is bigger than that, I just use one. I used 2 the first time and ended up with 2 short loaves, which aren't that good for sandwiches. =)

You can also use this recipe to make buns. You just need to a large muffin pan. I have not done this myself, as we don't use buns that often, but I know this is what others do, and I am assuming you would cut the cook time down a bit also Anyway, here is the recipe.

4 Cups Domata Living Flour
2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk powder
1 package yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
3 large eggs
1/4 cup butter (or whatever you're using in place of butter)
2 tsp cider vinegar
1/3 cup honey or agave nectar
2 cups warm water (between 110 to 115 degrees) Buy yourself one of those instant read thermometers or guess like I do, but I plan to get one of those thermometer thingies because if my guessing is ever off, my bread could be a flop.....or a door stop. =)

Now for the "How to."
1. Grease and flour 2 8 inch loaf pans. May I take just a moment and tell you that those pampered chef pans are the best for baking bread? Ok, anyway, if you only have a 9 inch pan, your bread will not be very big, which is fine if you just want it for making along with dinner, but bad if you want to make a sandwich.....anyway, you will want to just use ONE pan and fill half way to 2/3 up.
2. Mix the dry ingredients in medium bowl and set aside
Place Eggs, butter, and vinegar, and honey in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer. If you don't have one, you can use a hand-held one, but your arm will get tired in later steps. You could also use a hefty wooden spoon. Also, the butter will still be chunky. You could probably melt the butter before mixing it in as well, and it would be fine.
3. Add half the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.Mix just until combined. Add remaining dry ingredients, and keep mixing on low until it is well blended.
4. With the mixer on low, slowly add the warm water. When you have added all the water, you will want to keep it on LOW until it is all well incorporated.
Then turn the mixer on medium high speed for four minutes.
5. Next spoon the batter into your prepared pan(s). It will be thick but not as doughy as you would think bread dough would be like.
6. Set aside in warm place to rise for an hour. If you don't have a place suitable for rising, you can put a cup of water in the microwave and heat until boiling....about 4 minutes. Put pan in and let rise there.
7. Place pan(s) in 375 degree oven for 50-60 minutes, or until internal temp is 200 degrees.
8. Let bread cool for ten minutes before turning out to cool completely on wire rack.
Slice once it is COMPLETELY cool. Store in the freezer and pull out just what you need when you need it. You can defrost in the microwave (about 30 seconds or so) or in the toaster on low.

No comments: