Monday, July 20, 2009

A week (or a little more) in review....

Last weekend, we had our annual get together at Lance's sister's house. They have a farm, and every year Lance's parents, sisters, and their families all get together in July. It is always so much fun. As I have said before on here, they are a blast to hang out with!! I really was blessed when it comes to in-laws.

Lance and Carter couldn't come because of some scheduling conflicts, so Lance's sister, Theresa came and picked the kids and me up and drove us down there. It was nice getting to know her a little better, as we had an hour drive there and an hour drive back to get to know each other a little better. =)

Nothing too major happened this last week. I've been working out the details of this next school year. Trying to select the right science curriculum for the kids, and after much searching and requesting advice from other homeschool moms, I finally decided on Apologia, which is a creation based (young earth) curriculum, which was important to me. Basically it talks about science through God's creation and doesn't talk about "millions of years ago" As the bible only documents the earth has been around for around 6000. It also denies evolution. I read sample pages of this book and I could not stop reading. LOL! The author has a great way of presenting things I would normally find boring. Like, she was simply talking about the sun and what it was made of and it's size vs the size of the earth etc, and I just kept reading and reading. LOL! That's how I decided it would be the best, since some of the others I looked at were more text book style, and by that I mean "dry reading."

Then I had to decide on reading for second grade for Kristina, and then a pre-school activity book for Jakob, and all the rest carries over from last year. Oh, and I also got Kristina a map skills book, and both kids a devotional/activity book.....so, yeah, exciting stuff. Actually, I love it! I love reading over curriculum! Actually, I just love books! =)

This past weekend we had Carter. Friday, we had pizza, played cards, and then Lance went and played softball with the church. They had a late game (8:45!) so all the kids were already in bed (except for Carter).

Saturday, we played more cards, and just hung out around here. Lance and Carter went to the driving range for a while, and then I left around 4ish to go to a moms night out! Moms night out is for all of us homeschool moms in the area. I love it. I just wish we could do it more often. I think it has been almost three months since we did our last one. We had an amazing time though. Great fellowship with like-minded women. =)

Then Sunday, we, of course, went to church. Carter and Kristina had an art class during the children's church time. There is a man named Ron at our church who is a fabulous artist. He is inspired by scriptures he reads and he just whips up a painting to go with it and presents it to the church. He is incredible!! Anyway, he is teaching a few kids who want to do this how to do worship art. How to listen to God and be able to express what He is saying to them in a painting or drawing. Kristina just eats that stuff up. She has been doing it for a long time now in her journal, and so hopefully, she will learn some additional skills that will help her. Carter recently became interested in it also after going to that same art class Kristina went to a while back (She had a three day art class called How Great Thou Art.....A couple weeks later, Carter went to the same thing over in Algona.) So it will be neat to see how they both grow through these new classes Ron is giving.

Sunday afternoon, after some more cards, we all went to play minni golf. That was a lot of fun. Jakob had a hard time understanding that he was not supposed to use a full swing, and he kept sending the ball flying, and then we would have to go chase after it. =)

Well, that's our week in review. =)

No comments: