Last Thursday, Laurie brought Carter over, and he stayed with us until just today. So we got another full week with him! =) He had an Opus camp this week. This is for kids going into 5th or 6th grade and is a music camp here in Mason City. He went from 9:30-12:00 Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. He made a couple of friends too which was neat. One of them I know is a homsechool kid (well, I know his mom anyway).
Today, they put on a little concert for us, with songs and dances. They did some traditional German dances and a dance from the Bahamas, and some other dance. They also did a lot with drums and the xylophone, which was really cool. VERY talented group of kids! This was not your typical elementary group concert. Anyway, being a part of this, Carter can chose to compete later this Summer in the Opus contest (ok, not sure of the exact name). This is the younger version of Allstate Choir. Hundreds and hundreds of kids send in their tapes to enter, but only about 140 will be chosen over all. The only thing is that I think there might be an issue this year with him not being in a school choir. Next year they are going to make it possible for kids who are homeschooled to be a part of it as long as they are in lessons with someone who is a school affiliate, which Laurie knows the name of someone he could take lessons from who would be an affiliate. There is also the possibility of theere being a homeschool choir here, and heck if they threw it together quickly enough and the right "affiliate" was conducting it, there would be a possibility for the homeschooled kids to enter yet this year. Who knows! So, honestly, I am not sure, but I believe he can not compete this year, but definitely next year.
Carter will be in the Algona children's choir this next school year. This is a community choir (not a school choir( that he had to audition for, and made it in. =)
Things went well with him here this past week. This was new for us since we never have him for that long, unless it is the yearly vacation, and then everything is always different on vacations. It was interesting to see the family dynamics. Kristina is a "middle child" who wants to be the oldest. =) She has the most conflict with both brothers. Basically Jakob thinks the sun rises and sets on Carter, so he does whatever Carter says. Kristina doesn't play that game. LOL! Honestly Carter and Kristina really clash, but they haven't killed each other yet. Kristina is always trying to impress Carter, and in big brother fashion, he reminds how young and uncool she still is. I am going to use that as a teaching moment for the next time Jakob wants to impress Kristina, and Kristina treats Jakob like he's an uncool little baby. =) All-in-all though, the kids are able to play a lot longer together than I think most siblings can. I got some things done and some RR simply because the kids were clambering for Carter's attention, not mine.
Which brings another thought, I never begged my mom 24/7 for her to play with me. I had my friends, and I was perfectly content to play alone in my room with my toys for hours on end. My kids are constantly asking me to play with them. I mean ALL DAY LONG! I feel like I am always saying, "wait, Mommy's gotta get this done." and that makes me feel guilty, but seriously, I know I'm like a total blast and stuff, but I think they need to be a little more responsible for their own fun.
I also took some advice from my sis-in-law Debi, and have implemented "room time" They go in there for a half hour and simply play or read or color or whatever. It is SOOOOO nice! Carter loved it while he was here too. Yesterday he took 2 hours of "room time."
Anyway, that's what's been going on here this week. =)
Oh, wait this is totally funny: Carter loves the game Risk. I really hate it. My ex used to "force" me to play it all the time and I just loathed it, so not a fun game for me....Plus, why do I want to dominate the world? It's just not my thing. Well, for the love of carter, I agreed to play with him. He REALLY REALLY wanted me to play, even though he knew I didn't like it, so I did. Well, I started to attack on Kristina's side and then he attacked one of her other continents, which was kinda hurting her, so I decided next turn I would attack Carter. Carter kept bragging about how good he was and how nobody ever can beat his "Eskimos" (Alaska).....so, I took that as a challenge....Wouldn't you? =) So, I started attacking North America. I tell you, I was taking over him, and I really thought he might cry. He was like, "Why are you picking on me?" Um, cuz that's the name of the game.....Anyway, I had half of North America, making my way to the "Eskimos." And he said, "I thought you said you were bad at this game!" I said, "I never said I was bad at it. I said I didn't like it." He said, "Well, I forfeit, but I don't surrender." LOL! I told him it was the same thing. We were both laughing by this point. I told him I probably wouldn't have fought him so bad except that Kristina was so weak and he was still strong, and he boasted how nobody could ever get him...so I took it as a challenge. Anyway, I guess the only reason he wanted to play me is because he thought he could beat the pants off me, so Lance and I teased him about that one too. =) Probably the most fun I ever had playing the game I hate. LOL! And I think since I am not as easy to beat as he thought I was, I might not have to play that game again. =)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment