Hello everyone! I had to start this blog because, now that I actually have a computer, it seems it is so hard to ballance the house, the kids, homeschooling, AND writing each of my loved ones a good email. I found myself sitting down, wanting to write each of you a personal and lengthy email, and then would feel overwhelmed by who to start with, and then I would feel guilty if I didn't have time to write everyone, and so then, wouldn't write anyone....to be fair, you know. =) I am hoping with this blog, I can keep all of you up to date on us....and hoping you will respond with your thoughts as well.
I started homeschooling After Christmas, and it has been very rewarding. It seems so natural...like this is exactly how it should be. She is doing well, especially with her math, and she is learning to read a little bit better every day...Though, this has been an issue for her. Kristina doesn't like doing anything she can't do perfectly, and she wants to just be able to sit down and read as an adult would. So, reading has been frustrating for her, but she is finally relaxing about it and practicing more and more. She has been really wanting to sew, so I am in search of a sewing machine, and then we will take sewing (and quilting) classes together, since I don't really know how to sew either, except for minor mending.....and we are talking MINOR. I am also hoping to find a piano, so I can teach music, and she can take piano lessons.
I was really wondering how Jakob would work into this whole homeschooling thing, but it actually has been very good for him as well. He is learning German right along side her, and he listens in on the math lesson, and plays whatever goofy game I make up to teach some concept, so even though it may be a bit over his head now, he is being exposed. A lot of times, when she is working on something, I am bouncing between the two of them...doing shapes and numbers, and letters with Jakob, and Kristina...whatever she is working on. The crafts, he can do with us, and he even gets involved with the science experiments. We also have a couple of books..One, "Drawing Through the Life of Jesus, " and the other, "Draw Through Proverbs." They both sit and listen to the Bible reading, and then there are instructions to draw a certain aspect of the reading. Jakob doesn't always understand, but he still draws something. The books are good as they open things up for discussion.
One thing I am working on with Jakob is potty training....My biggest issue...He doesn't want to and he likes his diapers! This is what he told me. UGH! I figured the other day that I have been changing diapers for 6 years straight! Training Kristina was so much easier! I put her in panties. She went and it went down her leg and got her all wet. She FREAKED! That's all it took for her! She was trained. I have tried this with Jakob, and he just doesn't care if he is messy or wet. I have tried all the usual rewards...stickers, m&ms..etc. Oh well. I suppose nobody stayed in diapers forever.....um, right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
YAY! I'm so glad you started this! mine is www.ackleskelli.blogspot.com
I'm so glad to hear from you and glad that all is well! I miss our conversations in between calls or on breaks!!
Kelli
This blog is a great idea, Melissa! I never learned how to use my sewing machine. If you want to give it a whirl, you can have it. Kiss the little ones for me. Love you! Mom
HMMMM I wonder who could give you sewing lessons????? hehehe We have to get back up there to visit first! Nice job on the blog, it will help to let everyone know what is going on!
Shelley
Post a Comment