I wanted to post about a few things that have happened around here, but haven't had a chance in a while. I tell you, I have seriously cut back on my computer time, because when I get on, it is like a time stealer!! By the time I read all the blogs I like to read, and then check in on a few forums I am a part of, so much time is just zapped from my day....That isn't even including email and facebook!!
Anyway, I didn't want everyone to think I had fallen off the end of the earth, so here I am!!
In January, my beautiful little princess turned 8 years old!! I can not even believe it!! She's so tiny, I carry her around like you would a 4-year-old. It just doesn't seem real to me, and I really don't like the idea of her growing so fast. That isn't to say that I don't love the idea of getting to see what God has planned for her life....I just wish it would slow down a bit! LOL! Kristina has a strong spirit! She is very black and white about things, and she has strong convictions. She also started taking violin lessons, as we got her a violin for her birthday. She loves it, and it is going well. She is continuing with piano also.
Another thing about my Kristina that is a bit unusual perhaps is that she LOVES anything Egypt! She has most of the Playmobil Egypt toys, and she loves learning about it. Perhaps at age 8, this isn't so strange, but she was like this at age 3 as well! Kristina and I were making brownies or something, and she was chattering away about pyramids. I thought it was a teaching moment, and so I said to my little 3-yr-old, "And do you know where you can find Pyramids?" She said with a bit of attitude, "Uh, yeah! Egypt!" Like, DUH!! Of course, at that time we lived with my parents, and my dad watches a lot of History channel and Discovery channel. She was definitely picking up on some of that stuff....Like the time I picked her up from Sunday school, and she showed me that she had built Stone Henge out of blocks. LOL! So, anyway, back to Egypt.... Next year we will be studying Egypt formally. I have a guide for teaching Genesis Through Deuteronomy and ancient Egypt. She can't wait. There are a number of books I still have to get, but I'm watching used book sales for them. Since this is something she has loved since she was three (we have had to check out books from the library on the subject over the years, and she even has a book that teaches you how to draw like the Egyptians did.) I am anxious to see what God does with it. I just think that when someone loves something that much from a young age like that, there must be something there.
In the beginning of March we went to see Carter perform in a six state honor choir up in Minneapolis. It was a lot of fun. All the groups did so well, and there is definitely some great talent out there. Carter currently sings soprano. It will be interesting to see how his voice develops. We are quite proud of him. I still think he prefers piano to singing, but he has truly enjoyed being in all these choirs this year, as he was also in Opus this year as well. Lance's parents were wonderful enough to come and stay with the 2 younger one, while we went up there. You see, the crazy thing was that we didn't even know until the day before if we would even get tickets. Crazy! Right? I mean you think the parents would automatically get tickets, don't you think? Anyway, that's why we couldn't take K and J. Anyway, we are excited to see God developing Carter's musical talent (even though when you ask him what he wants to be when he grows up, he never even mentions music at all. LOL!) Since he is not my blood child and since I can take no credit for his talent, I can brag a little more about him! =) He is enormously talented, especially with the piano. He's also becoming a bit of a music freak...you know, singing CONSTANTLY and playing with what the voice can do? Yeah, I remember those days! LOL!
Now that I have written a paragraph or more on K and C, I feel I should write about Jakob too. LOL! He doing well. I think the most recent info on him is that he is going to marry his friend Sarah when he grows up, play for the Vikings, and when he is too old for that, he is going to work at Target because I shop there a lot, and if he works there, he'll get to see me a lot...His words! I swear! LOL! Actually, Jakob is also learning to read, and he read his first book (It was a Bob book) last week! He loves to try and read, which is so different than Kristina who hated learning to read because she just wanted to be able to just do it....like math, which she was just naturally able to do without much effort. Jakob is catching on quick, and always wants to do more than one lesson, and sometimes I have to stop him and tell him it is enough for the day (so he doesn't get too far ahead of himself). Next year is his kindergarten year, so I am happy he will be starting already knowing how to read. As their teacher, I think reading is one of the more difficult things to teach because it's something you can't do until you are "ready" like potty training.
On other news....A couple of weeks ago, the old Hobby Lobby store collapsed. I mean the store is gone! There was just too much snow and then it rained, and splat! It caved in on itself! It happened at 5:30 on a Sunday, so I am glad nobody was around and was hurt. The store was empty. Hobby Lobby still had to lease the building until November, but now, their lease is up! The thing I find very interesting is that I have two friends who have churches, and both of them at one time or another have tried to rent that space for their church. It is in a dying strip mall, and no business wants to go in there. The owner always said no. He did not want a church in there because he wanted something that was retail and bringing in money. Totally dumb since he wasn't getting anything for it with it sitting empty, and he doesn't make anything off the retail anyway. You would think he would let one of the churches rent it and get the money from them, but he was a real stinker about it, and out of the whole strip mall, it was the old Hobby Lobby that collapsed and the rest is fine. Hmmmmmm........
On yet other news, I am working out, and my body is handling it! Yeah me! Since I was so sick last year, I had trouble exercising, and could only do little bits at a time, and it seemed it never did any good anyway, so I was very discouraged. Well, I have been doing some ballet conditioning (which kicks your butt!) pilates (my old standby favorite) and walking etc. I have been able to do it daily, and stay consistent without getting to weak and exhausted. WELL, last week, some friends of mine asked if I wanted to go running with them. I was like, "Um NOOOOOOOOO! I don't run! No way!" They said they were doing a walk/run, and they don't run fast at all. They were going to run for four minutes and then walk for a minute. I was like, "Yeah, but I haven't run since high school,, and even then it was only for PE and I HATED it!" Anyway, long story short, they talked me into trying it, and I'd like to tell you that I was all wrong, and it was wonderful and I have found a new love, but no! First off, I get there, and I am informed we are going to go 3.2 miles! UH, excuse me!? Yeah, the distance might have been a great thing to ask about the day before! So, I ran the first 4 minutes straight and I was pretty excited I could do it....Ok, so Like I was praying the whole time, and let's face it, God ran it for me! LOL! Then after our minute walk, which I know they were just tricking me! It was like ten seconds! (ok, maybe not.) I started to run the second stretch, and I had to keep slowing down to a walk because I couldn't do it. Now because my legs wouldn't go or I was in any kind of pain but I couldn't breath. It hurt. I had sort of that soar throat phlegmy feeling! Yuck! So I sped walk the whole rest of the way, and managed to keep up with them pretty well considering. I haven't returned. running is not my thing, but I do love waling! Now that weather has been warmer, I am getting out there a lot and just walking fast. You see I let the kids ride their bikes and I walk behind, and i can't actually keep up, but I do walk fast enough that my shins are killing me by the time I am done. The kids have to stop at each corner and wait for Mama to catch up. LOL!
And, that's all for now! =)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
KEEP THE BLOG COMING-LOVE READING....
Post a Comment